Wednesday, January 28, 2009

ice storm '09

You notice it is not capitalized. Lights went out sometime during the night. BIL called at 5am to tell me if I wanted my truck down the hill, I better do it now before it got worse 'cause it was "snowing its' butt off". So I got up, out of my warm, fleece covered bed, in the dark, did I mention, cold?, put on 3 pairs of pants, 3 shirts, looked for a flashlight, lit some candles, found a hat, found some gloves, did I mention in the cold and dark?, and proceeded to move my truck down my steep cold, dark driveway. Now I did ask BIL was he going to come haul me back up my steep, cold, dark hill at 5AM, in the morning, and did I mention at 5AM it is cold and dark and I HAVE NO COFFEE? But he didn't and so I walked up my steep, cold, dark, hill, with no coffee waiting in my cold, dark, house with 3 pairs of pants and 3 shirts on. It really wasn't all that cold. As a matter of fact, it was downright warm by the time I made it up my hill. Trying to breathe and talk to hubby who was sitting in Illinois in the middle of the interstate since 10 the night before. But the electricity god smiled on me and I was back in this century before 10 am. But my phone rang so much between 5 and 9, I didn't get to sleep. After BIL, work called to tell me we we not working. And they should be glad because I would not have taken a cold shower for them. Then hubby calls to see if it's still snowing 'cause he is still sitting in the middle of the interstate, some other random calls to see if we have lights, WONDERFUL BIL married to Kaye brought me three bottles of propane to use with our little heater so we wouldn't freeze to death. Good man that he is, he even went and got our Mr. Heater out of the storage shed and put a full bottle on for me. Kaye, he is a keeper. I really appreciated it because I did not want to go digging thru the shed looking for it, and I sure couldn't have switched out the bottle. Not to mention, it is kinda heavy. Couple more calls with hubby, MIL want to know if Memphis is iced up and how about Little Rock. Half way thru the conversation of why doesn't anybody know anything she realizes, "OH, YOU DO NOT HAVE POWER!" That's why we do not know anything. They team drive and had been running in it all nite. Wanted to know was the end in sight. This is such a big deal around here because WE NEVER GET THIS STUFF. I think the last winter storm Philip was preschool and he is in 6th now. And we only got the tail end of the stuff. Looked to be about 3 inches of snow, with maybe a little ice under it, so nothing really. But when you only see it every 10 years, hey, it's a big deal. Wonder if there is any milk or bread left at the store? Kids couldn't go to school, I couldn't go to work, must be time to go to the store!

3 comments:

Dysd Housewife said...

See we are SO used to that. We get snowed in at least once or twice a season. Generator-check. Woodstove-check. Food Storage-check. You could strand us with no power for a month, and we'd be just fine. LOL

Leslie said...

I guess I am used to the snow now and it doesn't bother me, I get up usual time, get dressed in layers and head out the door to do my wonderful home health job. Oh no they do not know how to drive on snow here, not even on dry pavement, you just stay out of the way. They think you have 4WD and that solves it all! When will Arkansas learn to put the power lines under ground like we do here. The pictures I have seen, it brings back bad memories when we were without electric for a week on the last ice storm we had in Ark. Don't miss that at all....

Leslie said...

I guess I am used to the snow now and it doesn't bother me, I get up usual time, get dressed in layers and head out the door to do my wonderful home health job. Oh no they do not know how to drive on snow here, not even on dry pavement, you just stay out of the way. They think you have 4WD and that solves it all! When will Arkansas learn to put the power lines under ground like we do here. The pictures I have seen, it brings back bad memories when we were without electric for a week on the last ice storm we had in Ark. Don't miss that at all....