Thursday, March 26, 2009

ER Run

Philip calls me when I am on my way home tonite. "daddy is hurting so bad he can't stand up." I said OK, be home in 10 minutes. Took and hour for Clayton to be able to get out of the bed and into the truck. We sat in the waiting room for 55 minutes, yes I was timing. The blonde nurse, and I use the term loosely, picks up his paper work, looks around the waiting room and says, "Billings?" WE WERE THE ONLY PEOPLE THERE! No one else had been in or out the entire time. I so wanted to look at her and say, "Well, duh! Here's your sign". But I didn't 'cause hubby was in extreme pain. They take him back to the triage closet, I kid you not, while I am steady telling them, he can't sit down, if he does, he can't get up, blah, blah, blah. Clayton has had back surgery for a ruptured disc, we both have degenerative disc disease, we know of which we speak. When we finally get into an exam room, Dr. came in within 5 minutes. Thought they were gonna have to admit me for cardiac arrest. Told Clayton to lay down. We both looked at him like he was crazy. Clayton valiantly attempted it. When Dr. saw how much pain he was in just trying to lean back, he let that go. Said he'd give him a pain shot, steroid shot, then he would need to go somewhere and get an MRI. Like we didn't know that. We waited another 30 minutes for the nurse from hell to come pop him in the butt with his shots. She did both in the same exact spot. Yep, he hollered. Put in a phone call to our connection (our family Dr.'s nurse) to see if we could just set up an appointment for the MRI without coming into the office. Yeah, right. That so was a NO. So we are supposed to be there before they open at 8am, which means I have to take off work, and my bosses are out of town for a meeting. Left messages on their cells and just decided not to worry about it. Get back home, shot kicks in, get Clayton in bed before he gets too woozy to walk. Philip says he wants me to look at his leg. You know he just had 2 rounds of shots and prednisone for poison oak, there is some hideous red raised blotches on his legs, looks like some kind of contact allergy. Where he has been sitting and his legs have been touching. Guess I will make him go to Dr. in morning, too. To borrow something from Kaye, I know y'all all want to be me.

4 comments:

Pat said...

So sorry! Back pain is certainly no fun; we can attest to that! Hope everyone's better...

Kaye Butler said...

Poor Philip. Poor Clayton. There never a dull moment. Spring Break to go down in the history books!

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

I have had two back surgeries..... I am so sorry to hear of his pain... and frustration. I will pray for him right now.

Joanna said...

Well that was no fun. Hope things are going better for him now.