Wednesday, February 24, 2010

D Day

Well, tomorrow is D day. Or maybe I should say D minus day. Having the surgery to remove both breasts. Dread it. Big time. A friend walked up to me in Subway and asked me had I ever seen a mastectomy. I told her no and I was probably more scared of that than anything. She said, "Come on". She took me in the bathroom, AT SUBWAY, and proceeded to show me her mastectomy scar, which was only a couple of months old. I was floored that she would do that. It helped so much. It really wasn't that bad. At least now I'm not afraid to "look". As for the rest, one day at a time...

3 comments:

EmmaP said...

once i was at a friends house... her mom had just got home from work... angela said, "go on - show her". i was like, "Wha-?" Then at her daughters urging, Angela's mom showed me her scar. For.The.Love.Of.Peanut.Butter.And.Jelly. That was a sleepover I will never forget. I didn't even know WHAT they were talking about. and even after they showed me, it still took several minutes/hours/days/weeks to sink in. for crying out loud - i was in the 6th grade! talk about emotional "scar"... lol

Good luck, hun! I'll be prayin for ya!

Joanna said...

Praying for you!!

I read a book - Reconstructing Natalie by Laura Jensen Walker
Really good book and very much about what you're going through and will be in the next few months. In the book it talked about how she showed off her new bewbs as a sign of triumph.

Wish I could hug you and give you chocolate. :)

mom2k said...

I can only imagine your fear! I will be praying for you, I promise! I remember my mom going through that 2 times...she had one removed and then the other later. She memorized the entire 91st Psalm, and it became her "mantra". We don't know why some things happen, but God loves us more than we love our own children...that's a lot! He will be right there with you guiding those surgeons, and bringing you through!